When choosing what work to submit please consider the criteria we ask the panel to take into account when judging:
- Excellence in craft
- Innovation in ideas and approach to subject matter
- Suitability to subject matter, category or purpose and use
In order to qualify, work must have been shot between 1st June 2011 and 1st June 2012.
Each category in the Photography Annual is the responsibility of a single judge (judges to be announced shortly). When we initially researched launching the Photography Annual, the overwhelming response from the industry was that juried awards tended to favour less innovative work due to the subjective nature of photography. Therefore, we have always asked our judges to select work from their given category alone. This makes the process more of a curatorial exercise than an one of consensus and, we believe, produces better results. Entrants should be aware that judges are not allowed to select work that they or their company have commissioned. This year's judges are listed here.
Categories have been broken down into the following areas which are to be entered into either the Single (1 image), or Series (2-6 images) categories:
- Advertising Category
- Conceptual Category
- Design Category
- Editorial Category
- Moving Image
- Personal or Non Published
For further information on categories please visit the Categories page.
How will the work be showcased?
- The successful entries will be showcased in a special edition of Creative Review published in November 2012
- Work selected for the Photography Annual will be printed by category
- There are no category winners or restrictions on the number of works to be selected for The Photography Annual, we leave that up to the judges
- Entries deemed to be of outstanding quality in the opinion of our Judges will be further honoured as Best in Book. All work will be considered for this accolade and there is no additional entry fee.